Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Testing on sound recording.

For sometime ago I always trying to know why mic so important on video production. And the answer can be found when you watch more "short film" which always spoiled because of the sound ( just as the first short film I did N years ago).

Few month ago I have brought some different "sound device" for some reason. One was quite cheap price, ROWA RW-MIX108A Stereo Electret Condenser Microphone. Another one was quite popular among DSLR production guys, ZOOM H1 Sound recorder. Well before I clean up my equipment and sell those unused (which is RW mic), I manage to make some comparison between my default sound recording device (5.1)on my Panasonic HDC-HS300 and another those 2 in Indoor environment. And "fake" wind produced by the old type noisy TOPAIRE air-conditional. The set-up is using my computer 5.1 surround speaker covered the camera which place at the center. Object, music, song..... I just simple pick it up which my player showing.

First at all I upload 3 main comparison, HS-300 5.1 Surround, Rowa 120° Pick-up, Zoom H1 all in "wind" condition. There was big obvious different between those. And HS-300 I have to tune up for the volume because the default recording is too low when compare with another 2. And Rowa did a good job on clear sound and H1 have the most heavy bass.

The second clip in individual section testing between different function on HS300 default 5.1 recording. Surround, Zoom & Focus. Surround did overall balancing sound record, Zoom will change according for far or close you're zooming into the object (sample with song will be more obvious for the changing) and the Focus did the worst low level recording, I still not figure out what the real function for this but it seem will record more clearly on the object you shooting at but will make the environment sound more lower.

And for the Rowa mic, it came with 2 option for the record which can be switch between it. 90° & 120° sound record. The first time I listen felt weird and unsatisfied on the result , but when listen again it did provided a more clearly sound which bass less. And in Stereo format (which can save my only 5.1 sound can be recorded at the camcorder). I really like to compare it with DLSR sound recording (rumor said that DLSR is the worst)

For the ZOOM H1,  I was very impressed and like the result! Well it worth for it price for recording clear sound and good bass on it,especially on stage performance (well I might can try make a clip compare with the 5.1 and H1 when I shoot a audition video some months ago). But it did have some "problem" make me feel this is not really suitable for job which rushing in real time ( esp wedding video). The recorder is very sensitive, when you accidentally touch/hit the body, the effect on the sound is very obviously. And the record button cannot be synchronize  which camcorder record button, which mean have to push 2 record button! (But this advantage you have 2 audio recording on the same time.) I don't really want to describe more on the operating system for this recorder, but just listen how grade for the sound it can be recorded.

Overall I can combine ALL the recording result, with / without windshield in wind or w/o wind wind condition. Just can as reference. I still think indoor testing is not enough, I should find some outdoor testing someday.


And after that I use a very short time did same thing with another replacement song. I worry about youtube will block it....Well if you listen carefully some part have some "lagging" , I not sure what caused this but it did appear at the start point on few clip.

Conclusion, I love the ZOOM H1 most,cheap price, sound good, bass nice and is best for performance recording and interviewing, well I guess use for short film also can be good choice since those project you have enough time to set-up, but just need to sync the both audio sound. Rowa I aready sold it because to get some fund for another upgrade. But can be consider when using DSLR and want to have good and cheap mic. The default 5.1 surround should be fine for common work on wedding or event but don't hope can get a good and clearly sound on certain voice. I guess in future I should invest RODE!

No comments:

Post a Comment